Nic, Bupkis and Nichevo

About Nothing, by Nothing, with German-flavored cleavage occasionally thrown in for local color.

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

You can email me at NicBupkusNichevo at aol dot com. Aren't you excited?

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Geez, has it been a month?

I'd worry more about the lack of updates if anyone actually read this thing besides The World's Greatest Ex©. But I have a fresh, shiny new rant, so here goes. Anyone who knows me knows I love smelly burning things - candles, incense, whatevuh. Candles have to be the jar kind, because they have more oils and smell better than votives or tapers. I always liked Yankee Candles in particular because they usually burned evenly and didn't leave you with a whole lotta wasted wax.

Well, I liked them until Saturday, when I got a Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off for Mother's Day coupon in the mail. For once I read the fine print: "Offer valid in all Yankee Candle Company stores or participating retailers (excluding outlet stores and military exchanges)." [emphasis theirs]

ExCUSE ME?

Just how fargin' greedy IS this company that some scrawny little 3rd class can't save an extra couple bucks on a candle for his mom at the exchange? Here's the email I just fired off to the company:

This is the email I just sent them:

I just wanted to write and tell you that I will no longer be purchasing your product. In fact, I will be encouraging everyone I know, including via my blog, to stop purchasing your product. I spent thirteen years as a proud Navy wife, and before that I did my own tour in the uniform of the United States Army. And for several of those years I was a happy consumer of a product manufactured by a company apparently so greedy that they would begrudge military shopper the few cents per candle they would save if Yankee Candle allowed them to use the company's coupons in the exchanges.

How low and greedy can you get? Yes, I understand your product is already being sold at a considerable markdown. You know what? So is Keds and Liz Claiborne, Rowenta Irons and Godiva Chocolates. But I have never once seen any of their promotional discounts excluded from the exchanges (in fact, those manufacturers whose coupons are used in the commissaries allow their coupons to be honored six months after expiration overseas). I will be sure to spread the word at the USO where I volunteer, the military spouse electronic communities I belong to, and the stores (not just exchanges) where I shop that carry your product about your execrable corporate greed.

I wish you much failure in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

UPDATE on the UPDATE:

Their response (that was fast!) -

Thank you for being a valued Yankee Candle guest and for taking the time to write to us with your comments. We appreciate your feedback.

We certainly understand how frustrating it can be to not be able to redeem your coupons at all locations that carry our products, in this case Military Exchanges. However, this was a condition the exchanges knowingly agreed to, because we had already discounted the candles significantly. Our coupon policy does not allow for discounts to be used simultaneously. For instance, you would not be able to use your coupon on the Fragrance of the Month.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you. If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Sarah D

Yankee Candle Customer Loyalty Team
The Yankee Candle Company, Inc.
www.yankeecandle.com
877-803-6890

3 Comments:

Anonymous home equity loans online said...

home equity loans online

2:07 AM  
Blogger superclosetnerd said...

I'm doing some research on my new candle website trying to get ideas on colors, themes, etc. Looks pretty good here and I'll keep the bookmark. scented soy candle

8:17 PM  
Blogger superclosetnerd said...

I'm doing some research on my new candle website trying to get ideas on colors, themes, etc. Looks pretty good here and I'll keep the bookmark. soy wax candle

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home